1. Calculate the molarity of the ethanol in the undiluted vodka sample. As in the lab procedure, the original (undiluted) vodka was diluted 1/40
2. Calculate the mass of ethanol (CH33CH22OH) in a litre of vodka.
3. Given that the density of ethanol (CH33CH22OH) is 0.789 g⋅mL−1−1, convert the mass of ethanol into a volume of ethanol in a litre of vodka.
We will write a
specifically for you for only
805 certified writers online
4. When 2 miscible liquids are mixed, very seldom does the final volume equal the combined volumes of the individual liquids. The 2 liquids solvate each other and the final volume is almost always less. This is called non-ideal behaviour. Since ethanol and water are infinitely miscible, vodka is an example of a non-ideal solution and the volume of ethanol is determined by multiplying by
What is the corrected volume of ethanol in 1 liter of vodka?
5. Report the % ethanol (v/v) in the vodka sample.
% ethanol (v/v) = (volume of ethanol in mL / 1000 mL) x 100 %