Assignment: Agenda Comparison Grid and Fact Sheet or Talking Points Brief
It may seem to you that healthcare has been a national topic of debate among political leaders for as long as you can remember.
Healthcare has been a policy item and a topic of debate not only in recent times but as far back as the administration of the second U.S. president, John Adams. In 1798, Adams signed legislation requiring that 20 cents per month of a sailor’s paycheck be set aside for covering their medical bills. This represented the first major piece of U.S. healthcare legislation, and the topic of healthcare has been woven into presidential agendas and political debate ever since.
As a healthcare professional, you may be called upon to provide expertise, guidance and/or opinions on healthcare matters as they are debated for inclusion into new policy. You may also be involved in planning new organizational policy and responses to changes in legislation. For all of these reasons you should be prepared to speak to national healthcare issues making the news.
In this Assignment, you will analyze recent presidential healthcare agendas. You also will prepare a fact sheet to communicate the importance of a healthcare issue and the impact on this issue of recent or proposed policy.
• Review the agenda priorities of the current/sitting U.S. president and the two previous presidential administrations.
• Select an issue related to healthcare that was addressed by each of the last three U.S. presidential administrations. (My topic is Access to Quality Healthcare for All Americans)
• Reflect on the focus of their respective agendas, including the allocation of financial resources for addressing the healthcare issue you selected.
• Consider how you would communicate the importance of a healthcare issue to a legislator/policymaker or a member of their staff for inclusion on an agenda.
The Assignment: (1- to 2-page Comparison Grid, 1-Page Analysis, and 1-page Fact Sheet)
Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid
Use the Agenda Comparison Grid Template found in the Learning Resources and complete the Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid based on the current/sitting U.S. president and the two previous presidential administrations and their agendas related to the public health concern you selected. Be sure to address the following:
• Identify and provide a brief description of the population health concern you selected and the factors that contribute to it.
• Describe the administrative agenda focus related to the issue you selected.
• Identify the allocations of financial and other resources that the current and two previous presidents dedicated to this issue.
• Explain how each of the presidential administrations approached the issue.
Part 2: Agenda Comparison Grid Analysis
Using the information you recorded in Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid on the template, complete the Part 2: Agenda Comparison Grid Analysis portion of the template, by addressing the following:
• Which administrative agency would most likely be responsible for helping you address the healthcare issue you selected?
• How do you think your selected healthcare issue might get on the agenda for the current and two previous presidents? How does it stay there?
• Who would you choose to be the entrepreneur/ champion/sponsor of the healthcare issue you selected for the current and two previous presidents?
Part 3: Fact Sheet or Talking Points Brief
Using the information recorded on the template in Parts 1 and 2, develop a 1-page Fact Sheet or Talking Points Brief that you could use to communicate with a policymaker/legislator or a member of their staff for this healthcare issue. You can use Microsoft Word or PowerPoint to create your Fact Sheet or Talking Point Brief. Be sure to address the following:
• Summarize why this healthcare issue is important and should be included in the agenda for legislation.
• Justify the role of the nurse in agenda setting for healthcare issues.
By Day 7 of Week 2
Submit your final version of Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid, Part 2: Agenda Comparison Grid Analysis, and Part 3: Fact Sheet or Talking Points Brief.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
• Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK2Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
• Click the Week 2 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
• Click the Week 2 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
• Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK2Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
• If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
• Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
• Due to the nature of this assignment, your instructor may require more than 5 days to provide you with quality feedback.
Topic: Access to Quality Healthcare for All Americans.
His mission is to empower patients through measures such as improved transparency in healthcare prices, encourage competition, lower costs, and put patients in charge. He also has taken actions to lower drug prices and approve increased number of affordable generic drugs. (President Trump Is Working To Ensure That Every American Has Access To Better Healthcare At Lower Cost | The White House, 2020)
Over the years, history has shown perceived discrimination in the provision of healthcare to Americans based on various metrics adjudged by healthcare providers. (Underhill, 2018).. President Obama gave access to quality healthcare for all Americans which is one of the overarching tenets in his Affordable Care Act (ACA) also known as “Obama Care”. (Underhill, 2018). In ensuring patient protection and affordability of healthcare to all Americans, he signed this act into law.
President George W. Bush
His mission to increase access to quality healthcare to all Americans included signing the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003 (known as MMA) into law which brought about changes such as an outpatient prescription drug benefit which started in 2006, a prescription drug discount card, and new preventive benefits. He also provided States with increased flexibility to manage their Medicaid programs including the new Health Insurance Flexibility and Accountability waivers, which are designed to increase the number of low-income individuals with health insurance coverage. (Roosevelt, n.d.).
What I will do
Focus on patient centered and family-oriented care. Involving families and loved ones alongside the patient who is being protected and covered by all the above acts and laws is very important in provision of quality healthcare. This will reduce prejudice in terms of class, educational background, income disparities, stigma, fear of unknown etc. It will improve need to seek personalized health plans, seek care, early diagnosing, adherence to treatment regimes which in turn will provide a better transition of all the different laws and acts into guidelines that facilitate provision and reception of quality healthcare to all. We see the impacts of family involvement in a broader scope during this COVID19 pandemic. Some of the saddest stories we experience or hear from our fellow nurses are the ones that talk about how challenging it is for patients to thrive in the hospitals and skilled nursing facilities without the presence of their families. The American society is made of family bodies. Obtaining patient-centered healthcare goals through the family will improve access to quality healthcare for all Americans.
The White House. 2020. President Trump Is Working To Ensure That Every American Has Access To Better Healthcare At Lower Cost | The White House.: Retrieved from https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-trump-working-ensure-every-american-access-better-healthcare-lower-cost/
Roosevelt, T. (n.d.). Tracing the history of CMS Programs: From president Theodore Roosevelt to President George W. Bush. Retrieved from https://www.cms.gov/About-CMS/Agency-Information/History/Downloads/BushSignMMA2003.pdf
Underhill, K. (2018). Raising the stakes for nondiscrimination protections in the ACA. Hastings Center Report, 48(1), 8-9.
Needs help with your Homework? ORDER NOW
We will write a
specifically for you for only
805 certified writers online
How Our Website Works
1. FILL IN OUR SIMPLE ORDER FORM
It has never been easier to place your order. Fill in the initial requirements in the small order form located on the home page and press “continue” button to proceed to the main order form or press “order” button in the header menu. Starting from there let our system intuitively guide you through all steps of ordering process.
2. PROCEED WITH THE PAYMENT
All your payments are processed securely through PayPal. This enables us to guarantee a 100% security of your funds and process payments swiftly.
3. WRITER ASSIGNMENT
Next, we match up your order details with the most qualified freelance writer in your field.
4. WRITING PROCESS
Once we have found the most suitable writer for your assignment, they start working on a masterpiece just for you!
Once finished, your final paper will be available for download through your personal dashboard. You will also receive an email notification with a copy of your paper attached to it. Sometimes, the writer may leave a note for you about the order in case there is any additional information that they need to give you.